ENGLISH LANGUAGE CLASSES AND SERVICES
There are many classes available in the area to assist you in learning to speak and read in English. Some are formal classes that are only offered during particular times. Others allow you to join at any time. All require you to register. Some cost money for the class or for the book.
1. St. Camillus. 301-434-8400. 1600 Saint Camillus Dr, Silver Spring, MD 20903. Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 7 – 8:30 No ID needed. Call 301-434-8400 to find out when the next session begins. Cost?** + ; Book cost $25
2. Catholic Community of Langely Park, the St. Camillus mission. Tuesday, Thursday and Friday mornings from 9:30-11am. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday from 7pm-9pm. Call 301-328-5105 for information and schedule. No ID needed.
3. Quebec Terrace Community Center, 301-431-4394 . Location: 8733 Carroll Ave, Silver Spring. All levels. Classes are free, in the evening. Call 301-431-4394 for information and schedule. No ID needed, preference given to local residents. Cost: Classes are free
4. Caribbean Help Center. 301-593-6922 . 10140 Sutherland Road, Silver Spring, 20901 (near the intersection of University and Colesville Rds.. Evening classes on Tuesday and Thursday at the beginner and intermediate levels. Four sessions a year, you can start at the beginning of any session. Call 301-593-6922 for information and schedule. FRENCH is spoken. Bilingual French/ English phone help. No ID needed. Cost: Classes are free; cost of books varies.
5. Casa de Maryland. 301.431.4185 ext. 208 . 734 University Blvd. E., Silver Spring, MD CASA provides ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) classes. Classes are generally held in the mornings and in the evenings during the week. Registration for new students takes place three times a year, in January, May, and in September. Cost: As of 5/08 the cost of a 7-week ESOL class was $75. Website: http://www.casademaryland.org/
Literacy Council of Prince George’s County, MD, Inc. 301-699-9770. 6532 Adelphi Rd., Suite 101 Hyattsville, MD 20782. Classes offered in spring and fall. Literacy services for adults, (17 years +) who are not in school. One to one tutoring, small group classes, and computer assisted instruction are available. External Diploma Program (EDP) also offered as a path to attain a Maryland High School Diploma. Day and Evening Classes. Cost: Tutoring and classes are free. $10 Annual Student Membership Dues . EDP program has a higher fee Web Site: http://www.literacycouncil.org
Other Language Resources:
Prince George’s County Libraries
ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) Collection:Each branch has a collection of ESOL materials chosen to meet the needs of adult English language learners. These books, cassettes, and CDs are selected to help adults working to improve their language and reading skills.
Hyattsville Library 6530 Adelphi Rd. Hyattsville, MD 20782 Tel: 301-985-4690
- Lectura de Cuentos en Español e Ingles – Edades 3 – 6: Sabados, 10:30 am.
- English/Spanish Storytime – Ages 3 – 6: Saturdays, 10:30 am. For Information call 301 985 4690. Community Resources
- English Conversation Club Ages 16 and up Tuesdays 7:30pm (confirmed on 5/2/08)
Casa de Maryland 301.431.4185 Casa also offers translation help and help with forms, and notarizes legal documents. Call the Social Services Department